Friday, August 25, 2006

At the Movies?

“I have to live my life again,” Bea declares this morning after a bowl of Sven’s porridge, her favorite, a breakfast standard as a child.

I doubt she is referring to reincarnation.

“What do you mean?”

“Do something useful for society … What do you do?”

I must admit I did not answer. I could have screamed, “I take care of you!” but don’t.

A recent email from Beth and Ellen’s sister Tibo is running through my brain: “I know Auntie Bea said she is ready to die, but I think there is so much more she can teach us …”

Something useful for society. Yes, that is what we are trying to do with this blog – stimulate people to think about old age and elderly care options. It is so easy to accept the status quo.

Bea snuggles down into the pillows. Once comfy, with a peaceful smile on her face, she looks back up at me, the keeper of her lair, facilitator, cook, lifeline to the outside world.

“You all set?” I ask.

“Thank you. Yes. What are we going to have for a movie today?”

Did I forget stewardess aboard the final flight into the Great Beyond?

I stand there with the empty porridge bowl and stare at her until the meaning sinks in. She is asking about future dreams.

“I’m not sure,” I say. “I hope it will be something you enjoy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home