Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bobbie

Since Bea still sleeps, I want to include her fourth sibling, the baby in the family, my Uncle Bob. I did not find any correspondence with Bea. Perhaps she threw it out? She did keep, however, this letter written in 1983:

“Dear Aunt Estelle, I was sorry to hear that you have broken your arm. Please forgive me for not having written. Things have not been going the best with me. In the hopes I would be able to enclose a little something in the envelope, I have postponed and postponed this letter. As you probably know, I had a heart attack a few years ago from which I am by now recovered but not quite as completely as I would like. Also, I had to move, as the building I was living in was torn down for a parking lot. The good job I had at Delmonico’s evaporated when the restaurant went out of business. I haven’t had a steady position since then. Although I have had other jobs, nothing really satisfactory. In fact, for a fair amount of time, I was either unemployed or only working weekends. I am presently on unemployment and looking for a job. The fourth of July I came down with a severe case of acute bronchitis that lasted six weeks. I do hope you are feeling better. However, at your age, you cannot expect to feel too spry. I hope you have enjoyed visiting my sister Bea. With affection, your Nephew, Bob”

Bea and Dorothy sent Bob money on a regular basis. He spent much of it betting on horses.

After Bob died March 4, 1986, Dot and Bea organized a tombstone for their siblings. Hunter had passed in 1979; Helen,1980.

Dot sent Bea the exact dates and wrote beneath their names, “Three tragedies. Needless tragedies. My heart is heavy with sadness.”

Bea and Dorothy were the survivors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home