Friday, September 29, 2006

How Much Can Bea Say in One Minute and 30 Seconds?

Imagine you are sitting by Bea’s bedside towards the end of her latest talking marathon. Bea speaks in a soft voice so as not to disturb anyone, but it is possible to make out most of her words. She has talked through Lisa’s visit. Then, for the next hour, Virginia, our volunteer, heard all about plans for a wedding reception. You are about to experience Bea’s monologue for less than two minutes, although she will talk non-stop late into the night, bursting into laughter from time to time.

Ready, set, listen:

“I’m going to wear your dress, the one you took out of the closet. Shades of brown and gray. It’s a wedding party. I’d like myself to enjoy it. I’d like your husband to have a great big smile. I’d like you to have a great big smile. I want you to come. Esther doesn’t want to be pursued. How about that lady from Syracuse and the fat man? He’s getting thinner. Do I hear somebody else besides you and me and me and you? What do you think I should wear? How about your hat? I think you should wear your hat. I’ll do whatever you say. I’ve got to stand up so you can see that I can stand up. How can I sit in a chair if I can’t stand up? I’ll wear Esther’s pearls. I can tell you where they are. I’m not going to get up any more than I have to. I’d like to go to Scotland. But these people talk with some very studious-sounding words. And on my birthday, I’m gong to have something interesting to do. I want you to know we did have some silver and we gave it to you. This evening I intend to be just whatever you want me to be. I know she doesn’t want me to wear American Indian. She’s American Indian. Esther is your cousin. I don’t know enough people in New York to organize the dance. My favorite person in the whole wide world right now is you…”

1 Comments:

Blogger Gray Lady said...

My mother doesn't make long rambles, but she's great at non-sequitors. Most of the time I have no idea what's she's trying to say.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home