Saturday, November 25, 2006

Singing Old Songs With the Elderly

Bea has been singing quietly to herself all morning. Music that enters young heads stays there. My mother surprises me with the number of songs she remembers from childhood.

Caregivers can easily encourage songfests that bring pleasure to elderly charges. All one needs to do is provide the tune and a line or two …

When Lisa comes, we have a real jamboree.

“I love you. A bushel and a peck,” Lisa sings. “ A bushel and a peck and … a hug around the neck. Don’t you know that one?”

“Sure she does,” I say. “Used to sing it to me all the time.”

Bea is being shy. Her eyes swing around to take in her audience.

Not one to give up, Lisa tries another: “How ‘bout, Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah. Someone’s in the kitchen I…”

She stops. Then comes the faint voice: “Know-wo-wo-wo.”

Lisa: “Someone’s in the kitchen with Di-nah…”

“Peeing on the old banjo.”

Bea has not forgotten the words. She is just in a good mood and making a joke.

The change in lyrics gives us all a good laugh…

1 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

Bea and my boys would have a gay old time... their propensity for inserting inappropriate words into preschool ditties is second to none... I love that Bea's sense of humor remains...

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home