Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tough Love

BEA: “Ouch! What are you doing?!”

ME: “Time to change your pants, sorry!”

BEA: “I don’t want you to change my pants. I don’t want to be alive anymore.”

ME: “Most people your age aren’t. They die.”

BEA: “What!? I don’t want to die.”

Streams of serpents spewed from Bea’s mouth this morning, and I must admit I answered in kind.

Yesterday Nurse Jane diagnosed two bedsores on Bea’s toes. Lisa showed me how cold Bea’s feet have become due to a lack of circulation. One baby toe had turned blue. We put on warmer socks and a heating pad.

Her frailty is extreme.

People say hospice patients often pass while their caregivers are away, the assumption being that they prefer not to subject loved ones to the event, considered by some an ordeal. Getting Bea up on one hip for a diaper change is the ordeal, if you ask me …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home