Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Perfect Early Morning Snack

I had thought Bea would be up today, but I guess I was wrong. This is her third day of sleep. Bea sleeps still when I go to bed. Then, at 3:30 a.m., I hear her chatting away. Reluctantly, I get up and go open her door.

“… and we'll meet at Grand Central Station,” she is saying to someone in a very happy voice. "Oh, here you are!"

“It is the middle of the night. Everyone is asleep,” I whisper. (This IS a bed & breakfast, and people ARE sleeping upstairs.)

“I’m hungry,” Bea says.

Her skin seems more translucent now that she has had a good rest.

I change her and fetch two bananas. Figuring her throat must be parched, I provide water, too.

“Now please be quiet," I say, giving her a kiss. "Eat your bananas, and be quiet.”

Bea nods. The message seems to have gotten through. It is, after all, dark outside. Rain is pouring down. She continues talking for a while softly, then falls asleep.

I reflect on the fact that Bea used to feed bananas to my brother when he was a child with celiac. Now I feed them to her. Thank God for bananas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home