Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bea Passes Away

Bea took us by surprise and left early. I was not expecting her to go so fast, with my brother coming the next day. But she knew he has a hard time with death, so she left by herself, once I had closed the door. She had been breathing deeply all afternoon. It was so peaceful there in her room, with the last rays of autumn sunshine falling on her face. I wish she had let me hold her hand, but independent Bea did it her own way, to the end.

A friend sent this quote when my father passed: “A life well-lived cannot be diminished by death. The beauty, guidance, and inspiration it gave us will shine on as brightly as ever.”

Bea’s beautiful life was an inspiration to everyone she encountered.

I have the feeling my dad was there to greet her. His spirit had lingered seven years ago, November 16, when he had to leave her behind. Bea’s spirit did not linger. It just soared.

I am glad we had this time together and recommend the experience of home care to anyone who is considering it.

We can imagine Bea now with friends and family, partying away, no more pain.

As I say a final goodbye, I borrow words from her first love, Ted:

“Good night, agapiti. You have placed me under a glorious debt, because you have given me the green pines, and sunsets, and new leaves, and crazy moons, and star-dust which go into the weaving of dreams …”

4 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

The news of Bea's departure hit me in the gut. Spirited people often pass alone, in their own way. I believe there is a purpose and a time to everything, and hope that you will find solace in the amazing legacy Bea leaves behind.

I wish I knew who said this... it is my favorite saying regarding mortality:

'Death is a horizon, and a horizon is nothing, save the limitation of our own sight.'

You are in my thoughts... Will this blog live on?

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I recently found your blog and have read every entry. You have shared such an intimate and important part of your life with the world. Thank you for being so generous. You have shown us how elders should be treated, with compassion, respect and love. I hope you are kind to yourself now as you begin the process of mourning the loss of your mother. I will miss reading your blog. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing gift you have given Bea. Your strength in helping your mother through this part of her journey with dignity and grace are quite admirable. My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope that this part of your journey can be eased in some way by knowing you have done the right thing, though absolutely the more difficult road to take.

7:23 PM  
Blogger anita said...

My condolences on Bea's passing . . . she was so very fortunate to have a daughter such as you, and to be cared for with such love as her life came to its end. And what a wonderful gift you have given to the rest of us!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home